Tuesday, August 17

Summer Garden Vegetable Soup

I found this recipe yesterday and since I had all the veggies it called for sitting in my fridge just begging to be used I decided we'd give it a try. I truly love all the colors and textures and flavors in this soup. It was like a symphony in my mouth. Jared's not a huge fan of veggies, but even he liked this one. Definitely on the dinner rotation through fall!

Summer Garden Vegetable Soup

3 med zucchini, chopped into bite sized pieces
4 med tomatoes, chopped into bite sized pieces
2 Tbs minced fresh parsley (I didn't have any on hand, so I didn't add this)
1 tsp dried basil (or 1 Tbs fresh)
2 Tbs butter
1 med onion, chopped
1/4 C flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 C chicken broth
1 tsp lemon juice
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
1 1/2 C frozen or fresh corn kernels
1/4 C freshly grated Parmesan cheese

  1. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add zucchini, basil, parsley and onion and saute, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes.
  2. Add the flour, salt and pepper. Stir and cook for one minute.
  3. Gradually add chicken broth, stirring constantly until fully incorporated. Add the lemon juice and mix well.
  4. Bring the soup to a simmer, stirring to prevent sticking, and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the zucchini is tender but still has some bite to it.
  5. Add the tomatoes, evaporated milk, and corn. Bring the soup to a boil and reduce heat to med-low. Cover the soup and simmer until the corn and zucchini are tender. Stir in cheese just before serving.

No comments: