Friday, July 31

Homemade Oreos

I found this amazing little recipe on wonder mom envy. I think it has become my favorite cookie and I will definitely be making it for the next gathering I attend! I had to cook them a little longer but I'm pretty sure it's due to the humidity here. i have had to relearn how to cook since moving to Texas, I never realized how much the weather affects the way we bake! I found this article, How weather affects cooking, that I thought was pretty helpful without getting to in depth, if your interested you should check it out. Another reason I really like these is because they are so simple Melody can do a lot to help. She loves being in the kitchen, but if you've ever tried baking with a preschooler you know why I don't allow her in very often. With these she can add the ingredients (we just learned how to crack eggs carefully after losing 4 or 5!), she can mix it (with mom's help of course), and she can help roll them into balls and put them on the cookie sheet. Needless to say these are also her favorite cookie!
from wonder mom envy
1 box devil's food cake
3/4 cup shortening
*2 eggs
1 tub of cream cheese frosting

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Stir dry cake mix, shortening, and eggs until well moistened. Drop small spoon sized balls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for about 9 minutes. (I bake mine for about 12-13 at about 70% humidity)

They don't look completely done when you pull them out. I just watch for the little cracks to appear on top. Then after I pull them out I let them set on the cookie sheet until cooled, otherwise your going to have a hard time getting them off the cookie sheet in one piece!

Also I frost these the night before and let them set. I think they taste better after the cookies have hardened a little and the frosting's not soft and gooey anymore.

*I didn't have any eggs the night I wanted to make these so I did some research and discovered that you can replace 1 egg with 1 tablespoon of applesauce. In baking eggs act as a binding agent and the apple sauce did the trick. They tasted exactly the same with the eggs as they did with the applesauce.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Great to know about the eggs. I have replaced oil with applesauce in a few cake recipes, but the egg trick is new to me!