Saturday, January 24

Home Made Hot Pockets

This recipe came from http://everydayfoodstorage.net/. She's all about building and using your food storage on a daily basis so it's being rotated properly and nothing is being wasted. She has some pretty good ideas so if you have some time to kill you should head over and browse her site for a while. This recipe is pretty easy and very versatile. You can make it a family affair and let everyone fill their own, or just try different fillings each time you make them. I had hamburger thawed so I decided to get creative and make cheese burger hot pockets. They turned out really yummy, even Melody ate some!
1 C. Luke Warm Water2 T. Olive Oil or Canola Oil 1 t. Sugar 1/2 t. Salt 3 C. Flour (I usually do Half all-purpose and half whole wheat or all whole wheat flour) 1 1/2 t. Yeast
Dough by Hand: Dissolve Yeast in warm water. Add Oil, Sugar, and salt. Slowly mix in flour and knead. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes.
Dough in Bread Machine: (I imagine this would be a ton easier in a bread machine, but for those of us without one it's still a pretty quick and simple recipe)Add ingredients in order your bread machine specifies You don’t want your dough to raise for more than one hour. Most bread machine dough cycles will “beat” down the dough and you’ll want to take the dough out before it does that. Consult your users manual for timing and instructions on how to put the ingredients in.
1. Pre-heat oven to 375
2. When dough is ready, separate it in to 6 portions. 3. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to 1/8" inch thick circles.
4. Let dough rest for 5 minutes.
5. Put 1/4-1/2 cup worth of filling. If you’re making all the same kind of hot pockets mix all your filling items together and use a scoop to fill the pockets.
6. Fold dough in half over the filling and clamp edges with fork or you can roll the edges over (this is what I usually do)
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 375 on a greased baking sheet.
Cheese Burger Filling
1 lb hamburger
1 bell pepper diced
1 onion diced
1 can diced tomatoes drained ( I drained it because I didn't want it to get too saucy, but you don't have to)
1 can tomato sauce
mushrooms
cheese
Brown hamburger for about 5 minutes with onions, peppers, and mushrooms (use as many or as few mushrooms as you like. I really like them s I added lots). Add diced tomatoes and sauce, allow to simmer until burger is cooked through. Turn off heat and add shredded cheese to taste. You can use any kind of cheese, I used mozzarella, and make sure you start with a small amount because a little goes a long way and you can always add more, but it's tough to take it back out! I let this cool for a few minutes before putting it in the pockets so it would be easier to work with.
She also says that these freeze well so I think I may make a batch just for snacks or quick lunches for Jared. We'll see how well that works out!
EDIT: I made a double batch of these and when they were cool I wrapped them in saran wrap and then again in foil. When I needed to cook them. I took off the foil and zapped it for 1 min. The saran wrap keeps it from getting dry so they turn out moist and yummy! I also made smaller ones for my girls so they wouldn't waste any. It worked out great!

No comments: