Thursday, January 22

lion house dinner rolls

These are not an easy one to make if you don't have a stand mixer, which I don't! I used my hand mixer until the last two cups of flower and then the dough was too sticky and I had to knead in the last of the flower. It's not easy, but it's possible and so worth it!
2 tablespoons active-dry yeast
2 cups warm water
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter or shortening
1 egg
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
2/3 cup nonfat dry milk
5-6 cups flour
In the large bowl of an electric mixer, combine yeast and water. Let stand 5 minutes. Add sugar, shortening (or butter), salt, dry milk, 2 cups flour and egg. Beat together until very smooth. Add remaining flour gradually (about 1/2 cup at a time) until a soft but not sticky dough is formed. Turn dough onto a lightly floured board and knead until it is smooth and satiny (Be prepared, if you don't have a mixer to knead for you this will be a workout!). Return dough to an oiled bowl and cover to let rise until doubled. (I think I let mine rise 3-4 hours)
Separate dough into seven or eight pieces. Roll out each portion into a circle (I tried to get mine about 1/8" thick) and cut into 8 pie-shaped pieces. (I used a pizza cutter) Roll up crescent-style and place on baking sheet. Cover with saran wrap that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 375 degrees for 12 minutes - until nicely browned. Makes about 5 dozen rolls.
If you go to the link it'll take you to the my kitchen cafe blog and she has lots of good tips in her comments. People will leave questions in the comments and she always answers them. Usually the questions other people ask are the same ones I have so it works out well for me!

No comments: