Monday, June 15

Hot Hoagies

This is another from My Kitchen Cafe. I love that she has a balance of in depth and super simple recipes. This one was a last minute thing. When ever I don't know what to make I always head to her blog and look around for a minute. Inevitably I always find something that I can throw together. This one is so yummy and I may use this as a relief society dinner, you know the ones you take to people who are sick or just had a baby. Throw it together and all they have to do is pop it in the oven for a few minutes!
from my kitchen cafe

1 loaf french bread, cut lengthwise (I get the $1 loaves at Wal-Mart) 
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken* (in a pinch, you can use two large cans chicken breast) 
1/2 cup light mayo (I used miracle whip, it tasted ok, but it was kinda sweet. Next time I'll use the mayo) 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream 
2 green onions, thinly sliced (white and green parts) 
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt 
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped (or 2 tablespoons dried) 
2 cups shredded cheese (I used a combo of Monterrey jack and sharp cheddar cheese) 
Olives, chopped (I didn't put these on simply because I hate olives) 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place french bread on large baking sheet. Mix all topping ingredients together in a bowl. Spread topping evenly on top of both lengths of french bread. Bake for 15-20 minutes until bubbly and edges are lightly browned. Slice into pieces and serve immediately. 

*When I stock up on my chicken, I always boil 3 or 4 breasts, shred it and freeze it in Ziploc bags. Then I have it ready for a meal like this one.

No comments: